Sunday, October 25, 2020

How I Discovered A Gem in the PH Music Scene

I am not really a music fan to begin with, but I tried to write this article to be as smooth as possible. I’ll share a story how I discovered a homegrown pop music idol group, MNL48.

Sometimes reactions are mixed when people hear of this group, and it cannot be helped that their former stint at the noontime variety show “It’s Showtime” cemented some unfavorable impressions to the group. Let me say it bluntly, I believe they are talented (see acapella video below). The “idols you can meet” concept and packaging, being foreign to most Filipinos, is one of the reasons why their clout isn’t that big (yet).



Early Exposure

I have a vague memory of MNL48 years ago. I think it was a news clipping from TV Patrol. I didn’t give them much attention back then because I thought it was just another lackluster attempt of ABS-CBN to propel certain people to stardom. Their association with ABS-CBN is probably why I did not take them seriously at first, since the network is sometimes known for propelling artists to things they are not talented for (e.g. actors converted into “singers”).

Fast forward to July 28, 2019, I came across a Facebook post with a link to a song called “Ikaw ang Melody”, shared by an acquaintance. Seeing that it seemed interesting, I opened the link and saw these bunch of girls singing. To my own surprise, I actually liked the song (since I’m not into modern Filipino music). I did not pay attention too much to the lyrics since I was too attracted to the melody which seemed to overpower the voices of the singers. (I later found out that having a relatedly loud instrumentals is a key trait of Japanese Pop or J-Pop music.)

By December 2019, I saw that a certain MNL48_Coleen became trending on Facebook and Instagram, with some of my Facebook friends sharing her “pa-cute” (playing cute) poses. Later on, a friend of mine, a former classmate in elementary school, shared this: I reacted to the post with a heart, lol. I was already aware of a Coleen as a member but didn’t dig further who she is.

Contextualized Translation: “Hey! You’re [always posting] about MNL48 Coleen. [Keep doing that and you’ll end up in] MNLCITYJAIL (Manila City Jail).”
 

It was only later when I became a solid fan (MNLoves/wota) that I learned that MNL48 Coleen (Team NIV) did became popular among non-fans (normies) because of her TikTok videos. As I write this, she has the highest number of social media followers (Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok) to date.

Further Exposure

At work I would sometimes listen to their songs on Spotify. I find Spotify non-distracting compared to YouTube. The lackluster response of the country to the COVID-19 pandemic was felt after cases rose sharply after March 7. We were forced to work from home last March 10 onwards, quarantined at home gave me additional time to browse random YouTube videos. Soon, I found the Ikaw ang Melody live version performed at the MYX Studio. This was the turning point. “Why didn’t I discover this early on?” I uttered. I found their live vocals very much amazing and by reading the comments section, learned the identities of the girls who performed. This was the start of me officially considering myself as a fan. (Sadly, my supposed-to-be kami-oshi Faith already graduated from the group by that time.)

The 365 Araw ng Eroplanong Papel (365 Nichi no Kamihikouki; 365 Days of Paper Airplanes) acapella was a major turning point. I have never seen a Filipino female girl group perform so well in acapella.


Why Though?

To be honest, I was never really a music lover before I discovered KPop. The mainstream foreign artists I follow (defined as waiting for their next release) are very few: Taylor Swift, Rachel Platten, Melanie Martinez, and The Script. 

There is something special in MNL48 that appealed to me. The concept of stanning regular people striving hard to achieve their dreams instead of already big names. The concept of the 48 group franchise of “idols you can meet” is very unique in a sense that there is no pedestal that separates the talented artists from the fans. (Of course, there should always be a wall and fans must not push their limits.) In a sense, the concept makes them relatable to the fans. But the ultimate reason for me is that they are talented not only as individuals but also as a group (e.g. harmonization). While they did start with potential, they still started from scratch and have since then improved. It is different in KPop where you get a polished product; realistically speaking, the Korean model sells more especially to Filipino fans.

The lyrics of their songs are very inspirational. I know some Filipino AKB48 fans who diss at translated lyrics, but for me it gives a better connection to the message of the singers (or lyricist).

For example, here is my favorite line from 365 Araw ng Eroplanong Papel:

Sa iyong pinagdadaanan
Umasa kang hindi ka nag-iisa
'Di mo lang napansin ang kabutihan
ng mga tao sa paligid.
 

Here are my favorite lines from First Rabbit:


Kahit na masaktan, 'di katatakutan
Kahit ang kadiliman, 'di uurungan
Tulad ng pangarap na pinaglalaban
Tuloy-tuloy, walang susuko hanggang magkatotoo na lahat

Nasusugutan, may matututunan
Kahit ako'y lumuha, kahit pa masaktan
Lahat ng hirap at dusa titiisin ko
Seisho no usagi ni naruo (until I become the first rabbit)
最初のうさぎになろう

Not to disparge KPop songs, but for contrast, here are the lyrics of my favorite BLACKPINK song, “As It It’s Your Last”:

Baby nal teojil geotcheoreom anajwo
Geuman saenggakhae mwoga geuri eoryeowo
Geojitmalcheoreom kiss haejwo naega neoege
Majimak sarangin geotcheoreom


Okay, let me give you an unofficial Filipino translation that is still based on the Korean lyrics:


Baby hawakan ako parang sasabog
‘Wag ka na mag-isip ano bang mahirap dun?
‘Di tunay pero kiss mo’ko
Na parang huli mong ibig na minamahal

 

Again, I have no intention to put any KPop song in a bad light, especially since I am a Blink and a somewhat ONCE (fan of TWICE). It just shows the differences in packaging and appeal of the Korean pop industry and the 48 group (Jpop). In my viewpoint, the Korean model is “sexy and sophisticated” while the Japanese model is “rough diamonds being polished towards perfection”. There are a lot of inspirational KPop songs such as BTS’ “Never Mind” and SONAMOO’s “Just Go”. However, the ones mass marketed have a distinct sophisticated appeal.

The inspirational touch of MNL48 is one of the major factor why I was hooked into supporting them.


Final Words

We all have different music tastes, and it is not right to disparge someone who has a different music taste (unless said music is advocating bigoted or extreme beliefs). Others may not like the 48 group model because the idol usually starts from scratch or raw talent. Some have expressed their preference to the Korean pop model where the idols will train for years in order to be “polished” by the time they debut. Again, we all have our different tastes. Let us be mindful and respectful to each other’s preferences.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment